Young Actors Studio Membership Handbook
Communication and Conduct:
– We pride ourselves on being a close knit creative studio in which differences are praised. We are a place for young artists to experiment and explore safely to achieve greatness.
– While we recognize everyone has very busy schedules, it is important for members to communicate with the office when they are running late, going to be absent, etc.
– It is imperative that parents/guardians share with us any issues which may impact a member’s participation in training.
-We do not tolerate discrimination of any kind. Discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, physical abilities, national origin, or on any other basis prohibited by law, is not allowed.
-While cell phones and other electronic devices are allowed during break and in the lobby, use of cell phones (or other electronic devices) inside the classroom is not allowed. If parents need to get in contact with a student, please text the office at (818) 432-2011.
-Students will respect the rights and feelings of others, and will refrain from any unwanted contact toward another.
-Whenever a student has a concern, they are absolutely encouraged to come to any Young Actors Studio staff member or to have their parent/guardian call or email the office.
-Students should refrain from wearing flip flops/sandals, and are strongly encouraged to wear attire that is comfortable to move around in (for example: jeans, sweatpants, leggings, pants, etc.).
-There will be an ongoing automatic monthly charge of $250 on a credit/debit card. The first month’s charge will process on the day registering as a member, future payments will all be processed on the first of the following month (for example, if you sign up on December 15th- this will cover January membership, and so the next automatic charge would be February 1st).
– New members start at the beginning of the upcoming month. For example, if a new student enrolls on October 20th, then their membership will begin on November 1st.
-If a monthly payment date needs to be changed, please contact email@example.com prior to the monthly charge.
-All new in-person students must commit to three months. After the initial three months then the membership switches to month to month.
-To pause or cancel membership, please notify the studio by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org by the 20th of the month that the student will not be continuing for the upcoming month. Any notification after the 20th means that the automatic charge will still be processed for the upcoming month, but no future payments will be processed.
– There are no refunds on current month; however, pausing or cancelling membership does not provide any refund for the amount already paid; however, it will stop any future automatic payments.-To pause, or cancel, membership please email email@example.com.
– Studio members can select to participate in Technique on either Saturday or Sunday (2:30PM-4PM); and script work from 4:30PM-6PM.
– Students indicate a day that they prefer to take weekend classes.
– There will be no weekend classes the following weeks: the last weekend of December, the first weekend of January, Thanksgiving weekend, and Fourth of July Weekend.
-Students can only make up excused absences; unexcused absences cannot be made up. All make ups must be made up within 30 days of the absence.
–Excused absences include: death or illness in the family, medical/dental/mental health appointments or related issues, work related (e.g. filming), and attendance or observance of any religious holiday. Parent/guardian must contact the office in advance (unless unable to because of an emergency) for an absence to be excused. Failure to notify the office about an absence will result in the absence being unexcused.
Virtual/ In-Person Instruction:
– Students have the option of participating in our in-person, or on-line classes. Upon registering, new students must indicate which class type they are planning to participate in.
-Students can decide to change to in-person or on-line at the beginning of a new month, provided there are still spaces available.
-Depending on circumstances, the studio may have to return to virtual instruction as external circumstances dictate.
New Works Lab
– What do you do in New Works Lab? Create your own stories for the stage and screen. Join the growing list of award-winning students who’ve written scripts based on the crazy, beautiful, fascinating world they experience. No writing experience necessary, all you need is a love for storytelling and bold, memorable characters. Show up, hear the stories of others, and gain the confidence and inspiration to share your own. The Young Actor’s Studio has developed many award winning young writers, and amazing collaborations between actors and writers resulting in world premiere plays at major theaters and film festivals!
– New Works Lab meets virtually on Wednesdays from 5PM-6:30PM (Pacific Time).
Private Weekday Coaching:
– Students must book any private coaching sessions using The Young Actor’s Studio Calendar. All coaching sessions are scheduled to last 30 minutes. Sessions may be extended beyond 30 minutes at the discretion of the instructor.
– Private coaching sessions will not be available the following days: December 23rd- 27th, December 30th- January 2nd. And the following holidays: Thanksgiving (and the day after), Veterans Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.
– Private coaching sessions will be available by special appointment only, subject to instructor’s availability, in the month of July.
– We will be producing both in-person performances (for local students), and virtual performances (for non-local students) every two months.
-Live presentations (all at 7PM) will be the following for 2023:
– In order to be included in performances, students must be prepared for the following:
-memorized a month prior to the presentation,
-have their scene evaluated in class by the instructor two weeks prior to presentation. Students must bring in all designated props/costumes for the evaluation.
-be able to attend the tech rehearsal the week before the presentation. Tech rehearsals will always be on Saturdays from 6PM-7:30PM.
-Students cannot have had more than 1 unexcused absence in the two months preceding the presentation in order to be included.
– We offer a three week summer program in the last three weeks of July. This program goes Monday- Friday from 9AM-3:30PM. Studio members can apply their $250 July membership credit towards the summer program.
Use of Studios for Core Members:
-Use of studio space can only be for studio related work.
-All participants in the rehearsals, or readings, must also be members of the studio.
-All parents/guardians must sign a waiver understanding that these additional rehearsals/readings will not have direct adult supervision. While a studio employee will be in the facility, they will not provide direct supervision of the rehearsal, or reading.
Students are eligible to become Core Members of the studio after attending seven consecutive months OR a total of thirteen months at the studio, and have been involved in at least two presentations.
Benefits of core members are as follows:
-free use of the studios (subject to availability) during the week to rehearse, or just to work on their craft
-special reserved seating for their guests at presentations
-complimentary access to our weekend New Works Lab at the studio
-reduced private coaching rates
-discounts on special workshops and summer camp
-free in-person coaching for work related to the studio
-25% discount on all studio merchandise